Saturday, July 19, 2008

Out of Time

My leave is now officially over, and tomorrow I report to Fort Riley, Kansas. There I will inprocess into post, get issued a bunch of new equipment, and head to Iraq for a recon. When I return, the rest of my team will have signed in and inprocessed and we will get to business.


The last week was a "week of lasts." I don't want to ever know what it's like to be on Death Row, but I would imagine it would be like my last week... Last time in my own bed for a while, last time in the local gym, last time to see a softball practice, last time to be in my house for about 14 months. Weeks like this are what makes being in the Army hard. The hard work, long hours, and austere conditions pale in comparison to the sinking feeling of leaving home. The only way to compensate for the feeling is to think of the future homecoming and to look forward to doing all of those fun things again with family. You can't have the good without the bad, and the bad is eventually replaced by the good.


On an unrelated note, anybody want to buy a truck? Seems I don't need it anymore. It will be at Fort Riley if you are interested...

2 comments:

Kulhand said...

Great idea, the blog. As we will follow your every word, so will your troops. You're a strong leader...just be you.

And as you've always been, Ron...a do'er, an overcomer of obstacles ...you remain a winner. And, this trip is no different. Try not to apply historical data to your likely outcome/success...Believe it and it will happen. Only you make those choices that will affect your outcome. No one else.

Travel safe and come home soon. I will support you any way I can and we will all be waiting for you when you come home safely. God bless.

Unknown said...

Safe travels old friend...you've come a long way from burning model airplanes in my driveway back in the Fort. Looking foward to the blog.