Saturday, July 18, 2009

CW5 (RET) Sonny Hinchman

(CNN) -- A helicopter from private military contractor Xe crashed outside Baghdad on Friday, killing two crew members and leaving two other injured, a company spokeswoman said.The MD-530 "Little Bird" went down Friday morning at Butler Range, a training facility outside Baghdad, said Stacy Capace, a spokeswoman for the company formerly known as Blackwater.An investigation into the crash is under way, and it was not known whether there was any hostile fire in the area at the time, Capace said."On behalf of all the employees of Xe Services, our thoughts and prayers are with our four brothers involved in this incident and with their families," the company said in a statement on the crash. "We are reminded of the risk in serving our nation and ever more proud of the men and women who bravely accept that risk on behalf of all Americans."

Word travels fast, and I found out CW5 (RET) Sonny Hinchman was one of the pilots. I had the luxury of serving with Sonny when I was in 1-7 CAV at Fort Hood. He was a legend then-- an incredible pilot, a ball to be around, and a true patriot.

Take care, Sonny; your family is in my prayers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also had the pleasure of knowing and serving with Sonny C/4/7 in Korea.. a wildman, a free spirit, a great pilot and true professional... Sonny you will be missed....

CW4(R) Jim "JR" Ellis

scout977 said...

Ron,

It's a tough day for cavalrymen everywhere. It breaks my heart to hear about the loss of yet another great American. Sonny was the best of the best and the word is a much darker place without him.

Take Care,

Keith Gogas

Anonymous said...

Sonny gave me my PC checkride while serving as the E 1/7 Commander in Iraq. We had some great experiences. I will miss that mischieveous smile and quick wit. RIP brother. Garryowen!

MAJ Glen R. Hees

Anonymous said...

Truly a sad day for Cavalrymen everywhere. Sonny was a great pilot and even better person. He made the world a better place everyday. I was with him in Iraq with 1CD and flew with him many times. He was what I will always picture when I think of a warrant officer. Rest in peace Sonny, I will see you at Fiddler's Green.

LT Chad Eckhardt

Anonymous said...

Ron,
I had the pleasure of serving with Sonny in 1-7 CAV at Ft. Hood TX. He was a great Aviator, Friend, and Cavlary Trooper. He will be greatly missed. To his family I am sorry for your loss. Sonny we will meet again at Fiddlers Green!
Garryowen Sir!

SSG Christopher McDowell

Anonymous said...

Sonny was my platoon leader in Ft. Eustis, VA while supporting the Cobra MTP course, great leader, great pilot, great friend. I seen him again in '04 in Taji, Iraq....nothing changed except his smile was bigger! I'll miss you buddy...RIP.