Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lieutenant Colonel Ronald of Arabia

Last night I got promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. We did a small impromptu ceremony in the dark and I got a chance to say a few words after my Squadron Commander pinned rank on my Stetson, and my Brigade Commander stuck the rank on my chest.




My comments centered on an analogy of the three doctrinal elements in a raid, drawn from my formulative experience as a light infantryman. The three elements are Assault, Support, and Security. In a raid, nothing in the assaulting element is achieved without a good support element and a good base of fire. Everyone who has ever been a light guy knows the Support element usually gets hosed... They carry the heaviest stuff the furthest distance, occasionally they have to pull the assaulting element's bacon out of the fire, they rarely get any glory or appreciation for what they do, and they usually finish the raid as they started- cold and wet.



Throughout my career I have enjoyed three distinct groups who have made up my support by fire element. The first is my family. My parents gave me a foundation and let me do what I wanted to do. Somewhere along the way I met someone who I thought would be pretty neat to share life with- we got married, and then I established a history of leaving for extended periods of time. When I was home (defined as not deployed or at training) I was perpetually unable to tell her when I would be home each night. Our 13 year old daughter has sacrificed much more than the average kid, but I am amazed and inspired by how she handles diversity and turmoil. For some reason they stick around, and I am grateful they do, as they make it all worthwhile. I regret they were not able to see it in person, as all great achievements aren't worth much if you don't have someone to share them with.



The second group is a solid core of Noncommissioned Officers (NCOs). My Drill Sergeant (SFC Darrell Jordan) team leaders, squad leaders, and platoon sergeants (SGT Tanner, SSG Horner, SFCs Daily and Fasavalu) all gave me a solid foundation of what being a Soldier looked like. As a tank platoon leader, I had four platoon sergeants, all who kept me straight, and other NCOs in the platoon made me technically competent. As a Commander of two different organizations I had five First Sergeants, all were vital partners in the Command, all helped me negotiate difficult leadership and moral challenges, all who continually reminded me what we were there for. In every staff position I held, there was a strong NCO to keep me straight. And as the Squadron S3 and XO, I enjoyed fantastic First Sergeants and a superb Operations Sergeant Major as well as Command Sergeant Majors. They are the true backbone of the force.



The last group I had in my support by fire position was a crop of peers and senior leaders (Company Commanders, Squadron and Battalion Commanders, and a Brigade Commander or two) who mentored me along the way. They let me fail and learn the hard lessons when I needed it, but they didn't let me be a failure. They listened, gave tough love when it was needed, dispensed wisdom and clarity when I was fogged, put up with some pretty goofy ideas, and helped me achieve my potential, even when I was content to settle.




I am grateful to all. Now it's time to get to work.




Thanks for reading- take care.



LTC Ron






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulation Ron! and thank you, and your family, for your service.

Anonymous said...

OUTSTANDING!! John in Austin (OES)