Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers Day to my Dad

Being away for holidays sucks, but at the same time it helps you appreciate them. I got to talk to Dad today for a short bit, it was good to catch up with him.

My dad taught me through personal example. He was fairly short on words growing up, but he made up for it by showing my brother and me the right way to treat people, the right way to do things, and what's really important.

Dad showed us hard work is what is needed to be successful. No one is ever going to give you anything, and if you want something you have to apply yourself to get it. What you lack in talent you make up for in hustle and drive.

He showed us the right way to treat people is to talk to them and find a solution. There is a gray area in everything, and you find it by talking it out. Violence seldom solves much, but I am pretty sure in his youth it was an acceptable way to solve a problem if needed as a last resort.

He also told us to be wary in business dealings-- everyone has a motive, and not everyone should be trusted.

He showed us how to fix stuff, mostly by being patient, and working through the problem.

He taught us you can never have enough tools.

He taught us that service is important, that sometimes you need to drop everything to help a friend, and that family is everything.

He never drug us to church, or forced religion on us-- he gave us the opportunities and let us figure it out for ourselves, but showed us the right way through personal example.

Dad continues to live as an example to my brother and I every day. I don't talk to him much, but I often think of how he would handle certain situations.

Thanks for everything, Dad-- hope you have a good day.

Ron

1 comment:

Marshall said...

Happy Fathers Day Ron. See you soon.