Friday, August 31, 2012

"It's a feeling of relief, almost pleasure at knowing yourself at last genuinely down and out,. You have talked so often about going to the dogs, and well here are the dogs, and you have reached them, and you can stand it. It takes off a lot of the anxiety."

George Orwell once noted that in a play about being down and out.  It's quite applicable to me right now, because today is my last day in the Army as a Soldier.  I am fortunate to have served for a little over 20 of the 237 that the Army has been around.  Lots of people ask me, "What's it feel like?"  I tell them it comes with its own anxieties.  It's a great feeling to know that I served, that I was able to achieve a long-standing personal goal.  It's good to know that we made some things better, that we were part of a bigger picture or a larger stage-- even if it was just a small circle and even for a short time, we still did it.  But for me this is the end.

Because sooner or later, everyone in the Army gets out of the Army.  It's inevitable; something we all must deal with eventually.  We as Soldiers pride ourselves on our ability to adapt to new climates and situations, and now it's put up or shut up time.  It's a time for reinvention and for stepping out of the comfort zone of the familiar.  

I got to do a lot of neat and exciting things in the Army, I got to visit some amazing (and some not so amazing) places, and I got to serve alongside some fantastic Americans.  I also worked alongside some pretty good foreign folks, too.  I'm extremely grateful for the experience and perspective it has provided me.

To serve in the military means that you are the "less than 1%" of the US population who held that honor.  It is truly a small fraternity, and it's been an honor to be a part of it.  I was very grateful to serve with energetic, inspiring Soldiers who made it fun to go to work every day.  I am thankful for the Non-Commissioned Officers who made me pay attention to details, and for the Officers who pushed me every day and made me achieve my potential.  

Service in the military is easy for those who volunteer for it; it's our choice.  But it's hard for those who marry into it or who are born into it.  I was lucky to have the support of a great family throughout, and I fully acknowledge I didn't always make it easy for them.  Many many thanks to my family who was always with me, even when I was gone.

While by no means am I as down or out as Orwell wrote, I am at a personal crossroads.  The Army will continue to be what the Army is, but it's time for me to step aside and walk down a different trail.  I hope the next trail is as much fun, exciting and fulfilling as the last trail.  

Cheers,

Ron

No comments: