Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Good things and bad things

It was a good weekend, as the team got a 4-day weekend. I was able to make it home for our big 80's party that Shannon planned and threw together, and it also doubled as Hailey's 11th Birthday party. Everyone came dressed circa 80s style, and it was a blast.


I flew in Friday night and took a cab to the house. The cab driver was Ethiopian, so I threw some Arabic at him, and he laughed. Not sure if he was impressed at my gringo language skills, or if I said something that completely embarrassed myself. Probably the latter.


I had a blast with the family. I tackled some home improvement projects, and we took the dogs to the lake to wear them out. I also got to tour Hailey's new school, which is very nice. I was glad to meet her teacher and get a tour of the place for context for when she tells me they can't play football because the field doesn't have grass on it yet.


The bad part about coming home is always leaving. I have been gone for a year now, only making it home once a month or so. I get one more break before we head over, and I think Hailey is starting to realize that the next trip home will be "it" for a while. She is older now, and the separation is starting to take its toll. Sure, I haven't deployed to the big show yet, but I'd be a liar if I said it wasn't affecting me either. It kills me to make her sad, and leaving over and over again is getting old. She is a great kid for putting up with this, and I am so proud of her. I keep telling her it is a means to an end, and that while we are sad now, we will be happy when I get home. Sometimes I think I tell myself that as an excuse. Shannon is a champ for doing what she does: Holding down a career, managing the house, and playing the role of two parents. I'm not sure how she keeps track of everything.


This is the part that America doesn't see, and you really can't describe or quantify how much abandoning your family for an extended period sucks for both you and them. I think kids are the real victims of these adverse or non-ideal family situations, particular to the military. I just hope she understands why I have to do this, and hope she doesn't hate me for it.


But life goes on. Another busy week here at Camp FUNston. Tomorrow I get to learn about Biometrics, and the rest of the team continues with specialty training. And it's all topped off with another three hours of Arabic tomorrow night...


Good night and take care.

Ron

No comments: