Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ashura

Today in the Islamic world is the holiday of Ashura. Putting it rather simply, it is sort of like Easter: It is the day that Mohammed died while fighting a great, heroic battle. To prepare, some muslims make the pilgrimage to Karbala, where the battle took place (I think I have this right). Along the way, the people open up their homes to them. They stay and eat, all in the nature of unified religion and good will to their fellow brother. It is part celebration and part humanitarian, and part mourning. One thing I have been impressed with in this part of the world is, believe it or not, they are very hospitable. In the outings I have been on, some of the people have absolutely nothing. But a cup of Chai comes out of nowhere, and they trip over themselves to bring it to you along with a comfortable place to sit and visit.

This holiday is also a bit of a test. Our Iraqi Brigade has worked hard to maintain security for the events, and we have had a few bumps, but for the most part, so far they have done a good job. Iraq is still dangerous, but it is nothing compared to 2006 and 2007. The New Year has brought some security challenges for the Iraqis, but they seem to be handling them pretty well. In some ways they are very good, and there is potential.

But they are an Army (and a country) in between generations. Last night I had a very good conversation with my Brigade Commander over how sometimes they get stuck doing things "the Saddam way" instead of the new ways. I told him we do the same things-- look at our prosecution of the war from 2004 to about 2006... We were stuck in the mindset that this was not an insurgency, and we tried to fight it like the old school linear Army. I told him about 'greybeards,' the old guard who sticks around and expects things to be done the old ways for the sake of tradition. He agreed. Sometimes we say we want change, but change is occasionally uncomfortable and frustrating.

Hope you are well, and thanks for reading.

Ron

1 comment:

River Runner said...

G'Day Ron:

I've been put onto your "journal" by my grandson who is, at this moment, on his way to Iraq, having left Fort Hood this morning, January 10th. I've printed out your entire blog so that I could read at my leisure and bring things into my perspective given where things have been and where they might be today regarding Iraq and our military, our young men and women who serve. My concerns, of course, are monumental. But I know that training has been strong and focused and as each day passes, things seem to progress for the better. Not taking away the dangers that continue but as you have stated in your postings, today is not 2006 or 2007. I will continue to follow your blog and will post questions or comments...possibly Matt will post also as he has in the past. Thanks for ALL that you are doing...be safe