Sunday, January 11, 2009

Three months

Holy crap, ten days into 2009 already.

We are two and a half months into Iraq, and six months into separation from family (and all good things Texas). I am starting to notice that I am missing things. Like beer. My boat. Our house. The more I think about it, though, it’s not just the beer I miss, but more the context in which I used to enjoy it: With friends at a party. I miss it in my driveway unloading the truck after an entire weekend at a softball park watching Hailey play. With the boat, I don’t just miss the boat—I miss our ‘floating living room’ on the lake with family and friends. With the house (well, ok- I do miss hot water; that’s always enjoyed in a context-free setting), I miss coming home to it and getting ambushed by two big dogs who love you unconditionally. I miss hearing about my wife’s day and comparing the madness of Corporate America to the Madness of the US Army. I miss the smell of home, the ‘howdy’ of the neighbors, the look of a freshly mowed lawn (especially when I didn’t do it), and the manual labor involved in washing a car and admiring the finished product. I miss tucking in Sluggo, and realizing that this ritual is fleeting and it will be expiring soon, as she is getting older, and getting tucked in by Dad will no longer be cool.

Lots of people keep asking ‘what can we send?’ Truthfully, anything sent is appreciated, as it indicates the sender took time to think of us and appreciate us. But no offense, I hate to be honest-- It won’t match up to what I have at home. I suppose it’s not supposed to. So if you decide to send something, take a moment and think about what you have in your families and appreciate them and the traditional contexts in which you enjoy them. And thanks for thinking of us.

Completely random unrelated note: On a whim during a PX run to the big Disneyworld-like base north of here, I bought the Scarlett Johannson CD. Thought I’d diversify. Thought I’d try something new. It was a big mistake. Huge. It’s absolute crap, I have no idea what she was thinking. She should stick to looking attractive, because her music is horrible.

It's raining now, and the whole compound is turning to a gooey mud. Joy.

Hope you are well, and thanks for reading. Take care.

Ron

No comments: