Saturday, February 28, 2009

PACK IT UP!!!!

After we loaded our MILVANs and packed up all our stuff, we eagerly watched the much anticipated "Obama's gonna get us outta Iraq" speech.

Kidding, we didn't load our stuff.

I wasn't surprised a bit. It offered nothing that hasn't already been out there, and (gasp) it's not far off of what Bush had been saying. It's a far cry from the "I'll have us completely out of Iraq in 16 months!" campaign rhetoric. Truth is, unless you have been here for more than a three day sightseeing trip like most of the politicians take, you don't don't understand the problem. You can't understand the problem in three days.

Not sure what America expected. I think there are segments of the population that think we can click our heels and POOF instantly redeploy, send all of the soldiers home, and everyone lives happily ever after. If we started backhauling today, we might make it in 16 months, not counting doing any operations. If Bush had put this out, he would have been blasted. But for Obama, basking in the glow of popular public opinion, this is a win-win for him. If the place reverts to violence, he can hang it on Bush and say, "well, this was his war." But if it works, he can lay claim to victory and triumphantly announce he brought a win home.

After the speech my interpreter Moe and I went up to visit my Iraqi Brigade XO for some chai and to talk about the speech. (He's an interesting guy, and frankly is lucky to be alive. He fought against Iran in the late 80s, was in Kuwait in 1991, was in Basra in 2003 (he does NOT like B-52s), and he spent two years as a Battalion Commander in Anbar Province from 2004-2006. He is no stranger to combat, and sometimes I wonder what can I really teach this guy about warfare. But then again, he's 0-3...) I shook his hand and told him we were packing up and we were waiting for transportation to come and pick up our shipping containers. He didn't let go of my hand and his eyes got big and he said "Noooo!!!" After the joke wore off, we talked about it. In some ways they are ready for us to go, and in others they are not.

I do believe this, though-- within 10 years they will go to war with Iran again.

Later this week I'll put a picture of our new bigger and even more stupid new trucks we got this week (AKA The Mobile FOBs).

Hope you are well-- take care.
Ron

No comments: