Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Big Reconciliation Meeting

As you may recall, on Tuesday we were supposed to have a big reconciliation meeting between the Iraqi Police (IP) and the Iraqi Army (IA). I returned from another meeting on a different FOB on Monday night at 9pm, and as soon as I got back I hightailed it up to the IA Brigade Commander's office, just like I promised him I would. Part of the reason I had to go to the other FOB was to coordinate with the IP advisor, as we have both been pushing for this reconciliation meeting to happen for about a month. We have both conducted lots of cajoling, had conversations with our couterparts that contained many uncomfortable pauses, and spent lots of hours in smoke filled rooms trying to individually convince them they should do this. We worked out a transportation plan and an agenda, and talked through some scenarios to handle the multiple directions we anticipated the conversation heading to. We were ready for Tuesday morning at 1000.

As I got close to the Brigade Headquarters on Monday night, I encountered the Brigade XO, who was supposed to be on leave. He was angry, and I asked why he was back from leave. It seems without telling anyone, the Brigade Commander decided to take leave on Monday afternoon. The Brigade XO was recalled from his leave to serve as acting commander while the actual Brigade Commander was gone. As of today (Wednesday), there is no inclination or estimation of when the actual Brigade Commander will return ("Insh'allah").

How are you supposed to advise the guy when he's gone? Don't get me wrong-- They deserve leave, but their schedule is erratic, it is seldom vetted or approved through anyone, and they always seem to take it at the most inopportune time. The last time this happened (two weeks ago) my Brigade Commander was sniveling that he hadn't had a day off in three weeks. I threw it back in his face and I told him I had no sympathy for him, as I had not had a day off since October, and that I was here the entire time for him and his unit.

He did not bring it up again.

Another frustrating day as an advisor to the Iraqi Army... But that's how it is here. And it is a good reason why they keep losing.

Oh well. We will try when he gets back.

Hope you are well, and thanks for reading.
Ron

No comments: