Saturday, October 3, 2009

Packing Up

We got word our replacements will be here 'soon.' I wasn't expecting them quite so early, I thought I had a couple of more days on our own. I'll get over it.

Today was busy. Lots of preparation to do, tomorrow (after college football, of course) will be spent cleaning and tidying up. We will spend around a week with the new guys, showing them the area, introducing them to our IA counterparts, and visiting the US bases we get support from. Kinda wierd to think this is actually the end. You think about the day you will leave constantly, but holy crap.... It's right around the corner. I better pack.

Yesterday we went to BIAP to drop some stuff off and take care of some administrative business. We spent the night, and I actually had to think about my daily routine and how this was different from the past year. Every day in the morning I have pretty much done the same thing (unless we had a mission or something). I was stooped. It required effort. In a way it is indicative of the culture shock guys experience when they come home. You get used to living a very austere life, where you don't have to worry about what to wear, and your schedule is fairly routine. At home it is different. And driving will likely be a whole new experience, as we drive a little different here. I don't sit in traffic here-- people get out of the way. Fast. We don't stop at stop signs, and we drive in the middle of the road, usually too fast. Driving is going to be interesting.

Tonight I said so long to the XO. He is a capable officer, and he is actually quite good. The best thing Iraq could do is put him in charge of a Brigade. He is taking off early for leave as his three year old daughter is quite sick and he needs to go home for a couple of days. We were able to get a lot of things done with him, and he believes in many of the western ways, particularly in terms of staff management. I watched him get frustrated over the year about the same things I was frustrated about. We would commiserate in his office at night as he hacked his way through the mountain of 'mail' that required his review and signature. The IA is not very automated, and every piece of guidance issued requires a signature. He would literally read a stack about two feet high of paperwork every night, all of it was stuffed into these plastic restaurant-type menu folders. The signature is very powerful in Iraq.

As a going away gift, I decided to give him a good pen, particularly since the signature means so much in Iraq. That and a laser pointer thingy. They are amazed at the simplest flashy things. He is a good guy and I wish him well.

Gotta go pack. Hope all's well. Take care.
Ron

No comments: