Friday, September 11, 2009

On September 11 2001, I was in command of B Troop 1-7 CAV at Fort Hood. We were preparing to go to Fort Polk to the Joint Readiness Training Center to serve as the heavy unit augmentation for the 327th Infantry of the 101st Airborne. We were in the midst of prepping all of our vehicles and equipment. We had an entire Troop's worth of equipment and everything it would need to live on for 30 days, because we knew the light infantry guys wouldn't be able to figure out logistics. We had everything but fuel and ammo.

It was about 8:30; I was in the chow hall getting breakfast after PT, and I think I was there when the 2d plane hit. It was all over the news. Pandemonium quickly ensued on post, and we were told we were an option. I think in hindsight, everybody thought they were 'an option.' Our rotation was cancelled because of a supposed other option for us. We were naive. We never went. The rest of my command until July 2003 was a roller coaster of rumors, 'prep to go' orders and 'stand by' orders. Units that did go flew over the New York City site on their way to Afghanistan- A visual image burned in their minds to remind them of what they were called to do.

The era of 'persistent conflict' continues today. We have done some things right, and some of the things we did weren't so right. I don't feel bad for Khalid Sheik Mohammed and others like him who are in GITMO. I know it's wrong to say this, but I really hate him for what he and others like him did, and I think I'd kill him if I had the chance. Extremist Islam is a mental sickness and is what is killing the Middle East; it threatens other parts of the world as well, fueled by poverty, ignorance, and oppression.

The good news is that Al Qaeda hasn't really won. Osama's Grand Caliphate has not come to fruition. For the vast majority of Americans, our way of life hasn't been that disrupted in the grand scheme of things. Al Qaeda in Iraq is still here, but every day they alienate people away from their cause. Sadly, I think most Americans have forgotten about 9/11, and they have relegated the task of vigilance (and vengeance, in some cases) to a small 1% minority of the Nation who serves in the military, and a slightly larger minority who serve and protect domestically.

I can say I have visited all three sites since the attack. Each one brings different emotions. I've also seen bad people here who subscribe to the same extremist Islamic ways. It is a real threat, but the threat won't be mitigated by killing all of them, nor will it be mitigated in the next 10 or so years. It will likely take a lifetime of changing attitudes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As always, I'm completely amazed by your writing and view of a world I could never understand. Thank you again for being there.

Anonymous said...

Keep preaching brother! Almost home.

Dave in KC