Friday, September 18, 2009

A Rock and a Hard Place Part II: Unintended Consequences of The Gimme Gimme

Long story short, in my opinion we missed an opportunity to exercise the IA logistics system. The background for this post is a couple of posts down in the blog.

The IA continued with their project, although unsupported by their logistics system. I was able to get them to request logistical support from their Division in the form of a properly filled out logistics request form-- a HUGE feat that took almost 11 months to get a form filled out right. My IA Brigade did what they were supposed to do. True to form, the Division did nothing with it, though, and the request went unfilled. I got an earful of 'I told you so.'

The God did provide though; this time The God took the form of a US Brigade and Battalion who gave them stuff without making the Division use the IA system first. Instead of forcing the hand of Division (which is the root cause of the failure of the logistics system) to do the correct thing - use the Iraqi supply system - they asked the Americans because it was easier, and the Americans reinforced a bad habit by giving them stuff instead of using Tough Love. It seems the US units care more for the protection of the Iraqi soldiers than the Iraqi Division Commander and staff.

The unintended consequences: I played hardball with my Iraqi Brigade by telling them my US Brigade issued an order that I wasn't allowed to give them stuff anymore, thereby removing my value (to a point). This bluff would have worked, if all the Americans would have stuck to the guidance they issued. The nonverbal messages I get from the Iraqis around my Brigade now is 'well, you can't give me stuff, they can-- what good are you to me?' so they are less inclined to heed our staff advice and our training recommendations. In effect, I have been a victim of fratricide by my own Brigade.

"I have seen the enemy, and it is us." --Walt Kelly

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hello,
I am not all too familiar with blogger so I don't know if I leave a comment on an old entry of yours if you will ever see it. I am hoping by posting to your most recent entry you will.
The entry I am referring to is the one you made this past Memorial Day. My name is Jennifer Gensinger, and I am the younger sister of Charlie Barcia. Today, September 25th, is the 14th anniversary of my brothers death.
For some reason, I was sitting on my computer and decided to google Charlie's name to see if anything even came up, and your blog was one of the results on the first page. I read through your blog and I have been hysterical in tears for about an hour now. (So I am sorry if anything I say doesn't make complete sense, I have tried to collect my thoughts as best as I can)
Thank you for honoring my brother in the way that you did. Obviously, a tragedy such as this greatly affects the family that is involved. We will never forget. But life continues. As I said before, it has been 14 years now. 14 years is a long time. I was 10 when Charlie died, I'm now 24. 14 years is a long time, especially to a girl who has now lived more of her life without somebody than with.
I'm not sure how to phrase what I want to say here... but just to see this and that somebody remembers, somebody that isn't a close friend or family that has known us forever, would remember and take the time to write up a whole long speech like yours.. I can't even express to you what it means.. and your ending paragraphs.. I simply have no words but I hope you understand what I mean.
Charlie was an amazing person. Thank you for helping his honor and memory to live on. Someday I will share this with my family.
I also want to say, I don't think my mom ever blamed you or the army for Charlie's death. I don't know what happened in the room when you guys were there, but the only fault it is is the lady who hit Charlie's motorcycle. I hope that can clear your mind on that a little.
Thank you again for your writing. And thank YOU for everything that you do serving my country. I am happy and comforted that my brother was in the company of such a wonderful person while he was away from us.
God Bless and Stay Safe,
Jennifer

Jenn said...

PS- It is not necessary, but if you wanted to reply, my e-mail is gensingerj@gmail.com