Saturday, March 28, 2009

FACEBOOK IS LIKE CRACK

Well, ok, I have no idea what crack is like, but I bet it's a lot like this.

I have an aversion to social networking. My cadets used to ask me about my myspace page, and my response was "38 year old married men don't belong on myspace!!!" I had an account for a short time to keep track of happenings for my 20 year high school reunion last summer (which was a blast), but I dumped it after the reunion- it felt creepy. That and I had a review for my security clearance coming up.

But I get to Iraq and most of my team is on it. It is through Facebook that we found out one guy on EML leave got stuck in DC on his way back. Come to find out damn near everyone I ever knew in my life is on it. I told my wife of my aversion to it. She said why not-- she was on it and she found a slew of folks from her past and present (sure enough she is; I hope she accepts my friend invite). So I caved.

It is a bit voyeuristic. And I still think it's sorta creepy. But it is addicting, and it is good to use to get back in touch with folks. And it completely torpedoes any productivity.

But it is fun. Now go friend me...

Take care-
Ron

1 comment: