Friday, March 6, 2009

Useful Idiots

Today I went to Baghdad to get some Iraqi Army Doctrine. My IA unit has been using stuff from 1987, which didn't work out so well for them in 1991 and 2003. I thought surely there is an organization that is responsible for creating and distributing new doctrine.



After a multiple day wild goose chase of phone calls and emails, I found it. I borrowed a PSD (personal security detachment) and rolled to the International Zone (formerly the Green Zone). I saw the new embassy (what you can see from behind 12-foot cement walls), the Crossed Sabers monument, and the Tomb of the Unknowns. After some effort, we figured out where to go. It was a nifty little building behind lots of cement walls and it was filled with a lot of people who didn't really do anything, guarded by lots of contracted Ugandan security guys who did a very good job in checking my ID card to make sure I was in the Army and had authorization to go to places like US bases (the uniform, Major rank, and pistol didn't seem to clue them in). They did have a nice coffee shop that was well staffed with people who drink coffee.





I worked my way to the Office of the Chief of Iraqi Training and Doctrine Command. There were 15 people who "worked" there. I only saw one person actually working, a Master Sergeant that was also a MTT but at a higher level whom I met during training at Fort Riley. Of note, there were two civilian guys employed in this office. One of them prided himself on his ability to wack a ball on a string attached to a paddle. He could do it 81 times without messing up. I saw two Lieutenant Colonels in the office; one played a vicious game of Hearts, and the other I never really saw do anything. I did walk away with 4 gigs of information (manuals and classes) which was very helpful, and what I came there for. But nobody in this office was responsible for writing them; all they did was allow me to access their internal drive.



It was a different experience. I'm pretty sure none of the people in the office had any actual interactions with Iraqis.



I hope to God I never work in a place like that. I came back, killed a bunch of email, then went and ate dinner and watched soccer with my Iraqi Brigade Commander.

Hope you are well. Take care.
Ron

No comments: