Thursday, March 26, 2009

Religion

This entry isn't nearly as exciting or humorous as previous ones, but here are some thoughts on religion.

Being in another country that at one time was dominated by religion and being in a region of the world where decisions are solely based off of religion makes you think about your own. Me being a Presbyterian, a denomination that encourages questions, I'm ok with it.

Occasionally I discuss religion with my Iraqi counterparts. Some of my counterparts are very religious, others no so much. We studied Islam a bit before we deployed, and I studied it a bit in some mideast studies classes in college, and as I learned from both, one of the five pillars is to pray five times a day. I am told the first prayer of the day (usually at sunrise) is the most important, as it is when your body is most pure and most receptive to God's word. I'd buy that, particularly given that Easter and the story of the Ressurection is right around the corner. I expected to counter hostility with discussing religion, and some instructors told us to stay away entirely from religion as a discussion issue, but the Iraqis seem to enjoy it. There are many similarities between Christianity and Islam, and Islam even uses many of the same prophets. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, Hindus-- Who has it right, or are we all praying to the same God? And if it's the same God, why are we killing each other in the name of the same?
I'll admit I have slacked off in my relationship. No excuses; I just allowed it to be overcome by other events. I was also a bit put off by organized religion, particularly in the wake of seeing the bad side of it (sectarian violence, manipulation, dogmatic brainwashing, and an instilled culture of fear and opporession). But here you can't help but to think about it when the call to prayer wails from the mosque five times a day. I have no idea what they are saying, but it does force you to think about God.
My recent conclusions: I don't believe God intervenes to stop disasters or atrocities. I do think he gave us everything needed to obtain our intended purpose. It's up to us to figure out what we are here for. This is more of a Theory of Emergence, I suppose. Events and atrocities are either learning points or opportunity to do God's will. Most of the people I interact with (IA guys, some of which are either Shiite or Sunni Islam) believe more in a fate-based theory, which is frustrating at times when you are trying to convince them they should take action on a particular matter and they won't engage, citing 'the will of God.' Interesting, but still frustrating.
Islam for the most part is a peaceful religion and it means good things for good people. All we have to do is get the insurgents to follow it...
Hope you are well- Thanks for reading.
Ron

1 comment:

Tynett said...

In one of your posts, you had a picture of SFC Chambers...I'm a friend of his and would love to say Hello but have lost contact. Would you tell him I said Hello?

tynett@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Lanett