Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stuff I learned this week

Sorry for the delay in posting. It was a busy week.

We have enjoyed some good momentum lately. The security situation continues to improve, and we are doing a lot of training and working with the staff. I learned this week there is no arabic word for momentum. When trying to explain something while using a translator, it is sort of like a mix of charades and the old game show "The $10,000 Pyramid" where you try to match an english word with an Arabic one. At times it can be a frustrating game. I try to avoid the charades part, but my Iraqi Brigade Commander is pretty good at it.

Captain Mowfak is one of the officers who works in the Brigade S3 shop. He pretty much runs the place. He is generous, and works harder than any other Iraqi. He could pull his weight on an American staff with no problem. This week his brother died. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army under Saddam, but did not like him. I learned a lot about Iraqi funerals this week; amazing how similar the customs are (except you get buried almost immediately). I learned that death in Iraq is called "taking the road to Najaf," as in 'everyone takes the road to Najaf' imitating the march that Mohammed made as he moved to his death. There is a lot of drama associated with death and dying here. I think I have put CPT Mowfak's picture on here before, but here it is again. This guy is great, and I feel bad for his family.

I learned to be careful what you ask for. My big huge new MRAP trucks are pretty much worthless to me in terms of maneuvering in small towns, so I asked for some Humvees. I got them, but they didn't have any of the equipment needed to move (radios, weapons mounts, and a bunch of other stuff). We have been scrounging and upgrading all week, and it is a pain in the butt. I still don't have them ready yet, but we are close.
I was reminded this week how much dust storms suck. We got schwacked with one earlier this week. It was a mess, and I am still blowing black crud out of my nose. Makes me miss clean air a lot.


Lastly, I learned there are good, honest Iraqi people here. I also learned there are some very very bad Iraqi people too, and that not everyone is who they seem. Call it a bit of a loss of innocence, but it is what it is. The goal is for the good to outlast the bad. Insh'allah...
Hope you are well. Thanks for reading and take care.
Ron

No comments: